Skip to main content

Can’t Fix a Broken Mirror (poem)

Kinda wish I could warn you,
that I know she’s gonna leave you.
It’s not a matter of why or if,
it’s a matter of when.

I think it might be in June.
When she’s gonna leave you.
Before her eldest gets her first menses 
because she’s that bipolar and insecure.
And insincere.

Soon she will reflect & reject the next step.
Eventually the reality will phase her: 

You can’t raise her
You can’t raise her
You can’t raise her 

When you appraise her,
when you rearrange her room.

Caused your own whispering corner,
your own legion of doom.

And I,
I am the sunshine in your eye,
the happy that makes your glad.
The cat that stays on your lap,
even when you sneeze.

And I,
am
like the wind, a zephyr, an ellipses...
to her breeze.

Her air is hot but not her passion.
Her hair shows you no compassion.

I’d walk 500 miles for you. 
I lied when I was rejecting. 

I just can’t stand us being apart.
My better part, my love, my muse, my music, my art
you give your heart to a female 
that’s a fraction of the woman I am.

And every night she compares her flashlight to my star.
Because you can’t compete when you can’t compare.

I don’t know your excuse.
Why you stray or why you stay.

I wish I could caution, nor does she.
Her daughters are her narcissism 
and should be your reoccurring lesson.

Too many of us guessing.
On who you’re mentally undressing.

And it’s not the child she doesn’t want to grow, to keep her tiny, to keep her Stow. 
It’s the additional competition.

And you don’t seem to listen.

She begrudges her role.  And would let you all go to Hades in a handy casket. 

She won’t raise
She won’t raise 
She won’t raise 

Your hopes or son...or to the occasion. 
I’m under the golden gun.

She smiles at her gin
while I cry for him.

She stays for the money, the QoL, the “security” - the time invested, to not see you happier with me, as we speak the unspoken and you’re both too stubborn to admit...
that your mirror’s broken.

Comments