Skip to main content

Herr, Herr Doktor (poem)

 …juris utriusque doctor?

I shoulda known

when you burnt me

you’d too early leave me.

Now you’re mad I’m owned?

When how you broke a vow 

got all parties disowned?

And I’m sorry about the numbers, Baby.

Tell your lady, I apologize for them odd odds. 

But she’s a Mason in a mansion 

and I’m just fire logs in the lodge. 

Sure, we could lunch and we could lounge. 

Yet when it comes to change?

I don’t scrounge. 

It’s not logical or chronological 

the timing of when each was met. 

Plus for one, it’s always hard to lose a man that you’ve won when you never even placed a bet,

harder still to love a man

…when he’s never around.

As silence can be the loudest sound, oh,

I’ll bend over so you may kiss 

the obsession you miss 

so while you abound 

in your martial bliss

knowing my love 

never ceased to grow

and can exist? 


You can follow. 


And I know you’re fallow over this fellow,

as I feel an all too familiar shallow shadow.

But you had ample time for an opportunity,

now your union is a mutiny.

The only piece of you that’s here 

is green beer. 

You’re pain,

he’s cheer. 

The time was too long.  

I forgot the lyrics of our love song. 

Now I feel dumb when I hum.

But the hole is a sum. 

One has sang, one has sung. 

He’s got an iron lung.

You’re in jail

and never sprung. 

But, 

we’ll always have the sun

and the illusion of a moon.

His kiss?—it sealed your doom. 

My heart is a micro-apartment and I don’t have the room for two,

so please forgive I forgot to remember you. 

Guess your love was a ruse,

since you’re just a muse. 

He’s ice for my bruise. 

Yeah, that’s my new dude

no need to be rude,

no need to pout or shout,

or ruin a life,

just shut your mouth, finish your stout, stay-in for the night, put down the knife, 

finally 


…marry your wife. 






Comments